NYHIST-L Archives

February 1999

From:
Hugh Mac Dougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:27:55 -0500
I would suppose that the distinction might have been significant in New
York State until the adoption of the 1821 Constitution, when the vote was
extended to virtually all (white) males, regardless of property ownership.
As I recall, under the 1777 State Constitution, voters for the Governor or
State Senators had to own real property worth 100 pounds; voters for State
Assemblymen had to either own real property worth 20 pounds, or rent
property worth 40 shillings per year -- the New York State shilling being
worth 12 1/2 cents, and the pound, therefore, $2.50.

Hugh C. MacDougall
Secretary/Treasurer
James Fenimore Cooper Society
8 Lake Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326-1016
<http://library.cmsu.edu/cooper/cooper.htm>