NYHIST-L Archives

December 2004

From:
George Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:24:35 -0500
I saw a notice from Joseph Sackett in the N-Y Gazette Revived: about 11
years ago Johannes Closson had told him that he had found a mine on
Sackett's property in Orange County; they agreed on terms for opening
it, but Closson died.  He told his widow that "he had found a Mine, and
that he dug very shallow, and could heave it out by Bushels, but he
covered it up carefully; and that it was near a Spring, and not far
from a Brook" and an elderly Dutch man said that Closson had said that
if he lived seven years "he should be a Gentleman."  Sackett offered
£300 to anyone who knows where the mine is, or a choice of several
partnership arrangements]
	N-Y Gazette Revived, August 3, 1752, p. 3, col. 1

Did the poor man ever find his mine?

What the mine produced is not specified.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

"We have seen the best of our time.  Machinations, hollowness,
treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our
graves."  King Lear, Act 1, scene 2 (Gloucester speaking).