NYHIST-L Archives

January 2006

From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 22:39:56 -0500
Scottish traveler James Stuart reported the three-day period in the 1828
elections for the Saratoga region, so the change would have been some time
after that.

David Minor

>I am a Town Historian in Carmel, New York (Putnam County).
>In researching our old Town Minutes, I have come across a
>curiosity involving the electoral process in  the years 1795-1839,
>and possibly beyond, though I have not read that far yet.
>
>Whereas our Town elections occurred at an annual town meeting,
>held on one day early in April,  the voting for NY State officials
>occurred over a three-day period.  This was also in April. At first
>I thought it was to get enough "turnout" in what were doubtless
>muddy road conditions, planting season, for the convenience
>of our largely agricultural residents.
>But then, why were the town officers able to be elected on one day?
>To keep it within the "clique" who had control (as my husband jokingly
>suggests)?
>
>Presumably the townsfolk would have the same difficulty
>getting to one sort of election as another, in the same place and
>month.
>
>I don't know exactly when this 3-day voting period was shortened
>down to the present single voting day we have now. I am looking for
>that
>fact as well, and may have to dig through 30 or 40 more archived
>minutes
>books in an exhaustive manual search, to catch the year things changed.
>

>I'm also intrigued by the lack of a tally on our early voting, and I
>have
>to assume it was a voice vote in the earliest days (1795-1830 or so).
>At some time, paper was used, but they don't record when that started.
>
>When officers were "sworn in", I wonder who did it?  A judge? I only
>see
>justices of the peace ... a pastor... the Clerk?  All I can see is
>"sworn"   occasionally written next to a name.
>
>I often find that a cross-comparison between various
>locales sheds a lot of light.  These old minutes can be very
>"dry" on the questions we have today, but they can go on and on about a
>
>description of a sheep found in somebody else's enclosure, etc.  Of
>course
>that was a big deal, then;  the way to hold an election was probably
>an accepted custom not worth noting.
>
>I am trying to find an online way to see the old NY State laws but so
>far,
>haven't found one. To avoid travel and expenses to physically dig
>through the
>dusty archives, I thought of trying to ask other historians for some
>clues.

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Pittsford, New York
585 264-0423
'dminor' 'at symbol' 'eznet.net'

To be put on the mailing list for the weekly TimeMaster radio scripts
(WXXI-FM 91.5), as well as a Quote of the Week and a URL of the Week,
e-mail me at the address above.

HOME PAGE
http://home.eznet.net/~dminor

includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and State, from
approximately 1,100,000,000 BC to 1992 AD.
http://home.eznet.net/~dminor/NYNY.html

Visit the Canal Society of New York State page at http://www.canalsnys.org/

"I would undertake to supply your demands if your generosity is equal to them."
	-John Bartram, U. S. naturalist