From:
Hugh Mac Dougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:30:43 -0400
In the words of the Oxford English Dictionary:
"Macaroni:.... 2. a. Hist. One of a class of 18th century exquisites,
consisting of young men who had travelled and affected continental tastes
and fashions. b. dial. A fop, dandy. 1764."
    The original song, as I understand it, was sung by British soldiers in
America, making fun of the rustic provincials who aped what they thought
were fashionable London ways. Presumably, the New England "Yankee" Doodle
thought that sticking a feather in his cap made himn the height of extreme
London fashion, and so fancied himself a "macaroni."
    I can't resist responding to the query of a fellow MacDougall! There
aren't that many of us.

Hugh C. MacDougall
Secretary/Treasurer
James Fenimore Cooper Society
8 Lake Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326-1016
<http://www.oneonta.edu/~cooper/>