From:
Jim Corsaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:08:47 -0900
Listserv:

        Yes, doing a family history project would be one good way to
involve children, parents and grandparents as well as other
relatives of the children. They can use oral history by interviewing
their older relatives; they can use family documents (any letters
from World War II in the family, for instance?); they can use
material found in local archival repositories or public libraries
with local history collections which can either substantiate their
own family genealogy or provide historical context for it. One thing
which is important is to make the project more than simply names and
dates and "trees." Give the project some historical context so that
the children understand that their family while important is not
necessarily a unique phenomenon, but is influenced by and influences
events around them; that is, that their family is as much a part of
American history as the Kennedys, Adams, and Gingrichs.

By the way, Mr. Harvey has one thing very wrong; there is hardly a
dearth of genealogical records in NYS. The State Library, State Archives,
several of the public libraries in the state, many of the local
historial societies and other places have voluminous amounts of
genealogical material. We would be happy to send Mr. Harvey
information about the State Library's genealogical collection and as I
am sure would other repositories. In addition, there are several
very active genealogical societies in the state.

                                Jim Corsaro

James Corsaro
Associate Librarian
Manuscripts and Special Collections