NYHIST-L Archives

September 1997

Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 16:08:06 -0400

<< I grew up in Niagara Falls too.  In fact I'm still growing up.
 There had been a Deveaux school in Niagara Falls.  It was a military prep

 school for boys.  I don't know if there was ever an orphanage component.
 The school was sold to Niagara University which used it as a Nursing
 school for awhile.  This is no longer in operation.  Niagara uses it for
 staging student plays.  The grounds are used for Little League baseball.
 The  University aart museum was house here , but is now at the campus, a
 half a mile away.  Orphanage ??? Maybe before my time.

I was doing some research using the 1860 federal census and the 1865 state
census at the Niagara Falls public library earlier this year and the Deveaux
school was referred to there (I think in the state census) as a school for
orphaned boys.

Bob