NYHIST-L Archives

March 2001

From:
Honor Conklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:02:37 -0500
   For a success story there is the autobiography of choreographer and dancer, Bill T. Jones.  His parents were migrant farm workers in western NYS.

Honor

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/13/01 08:04PM >>>
Scott Monje wrote:
Can anyone recommend any books, articles, or reports regarding migrant farm
workers in New York State? I would be especially interested in something
that deals with recent trends, but I'm open to all suggestions.

There are a number of wonderful agricultural colleges in the state which
would have libraies full of just this material.  I know Cornell University
had students go out and study ag ec in local communities and they almost
always touched on migrant workers as they worked extensively in the
orchards, vinyards, and truck fields.

I hopped on the NY State Library Catalog and found lots of info about
migrant workers in NY state

This one looked most promising:
Migrant farmworkers records in upstate New York : survey and guide / edited
by Linda Norris and Elaine D Engst.

http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/
       go to SEARCH
              ONLINE CATALOG
                     LIBRARY/MSC and ARCHIVES CATALOGS
just search keywords "migrant labor new york" and you will get plenty of
leads.

Also, don't forget to follow the leads through other subject headings

        Dan W.