NYHIST-L Archives

September 2000

From:
Vicki Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 12:11:17 -0400
For a listing of microfilmed newspapers at the New York State Library and in libraries/historical societies around the state, go to the NYS Library Web site - www.nysl.nysed.gov - and click on the New York State Newspaper Project hotlink. On the next page, click on the NYS Newspaper Microfilm hotlink. On the next page you can click on a hotlink to search the titles of newspapers in the State Library's collection or the titles of newspapers held in repositories around the state. New York City would be found in New York county. Scroll through the list to see if New York Press is one of the titles.

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/31/00 03:36PM >>>
I am looking for information about a contest conducted at the
'Chicago Fair', which I presume was the World's Columbian
Exposition of 1893. It was referred to as the "newsmen's race" in
an edition of the Saratogian newspaper in Saratoga Springs, NY
which also made reference to "When the New York Press first started
its Worlds Fair contest . . . . . '". I am trying to piece together
some details about this race which was won by Hamilton "Ham" Doney,
a newsdealer living in Saratoga Spring, NY at that time. Was there
a newspaper by the name of New York Press or was it a reference to
the collective newspaper organizations in the city/state? If it was
a newspaper, does anyone know of an archives or history collection
for NY newspapers or where I might learn more about "The New York
Press" and this "newsmen's race? Thanks.    Fletcher