NYHIST-L Archives

March 1999

Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 20:32:12 EST
Hi,

Just received this e-mail from a friend of mine. I have nothing on this topic.
Can anyone help?  Thanks Les Buell

Les

Recently while looking at my copy of Ecclesiastical Records of the State of
New York, Vol. III, pg. 1673, I came across an interesting piece of
Legislation from 1706 entitled, "An Act to Encourage the Baptizing of Negro,
Indian and Mulatto Slaves".
The purpose of the legislation was to disspell the idea that baptism in any
way affected the slave's legal status - it did not.  So good burghers baptize
them all, they will still be slaves!

Do you have any figures on the number of Native Americans held in slavery in
colonial New York?

Edward J.