From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 21:38:39 -0400
Dear Phyllis,

Don't know about the salary, but my wife and I lived the New York area for
close to 25 years (late sixties to early nineties) and we think that either
Gramercy Park or Murray Hill would make good locales. So we're talking
about the East Side between about 18th Street and 42nd Street. If you have
access to a copy of The Encyclopedia of New York City you could look up the
two neighborhoods and see how apropos they seem. One touch that might be
interesting is the fact that the Players Club, although a province  of men
only, was on Gramercy Park. Also one of my alma maters, the American
Academy of Dramatic Arts, was located near the Murray Hill area and when I
went there in the late sixties there were residential halls for drama
students close by. I imagine it was much the same in the thirties.

You might want to poke around in various online sources in New York, such
as web pages for the Public Library and the City of the Museum of New York.

Good luck,

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research

>I wonder if the members of this list may be of help. My husband is a
>Canadian novelist who has published 8 novels and is presently working on
>number 9. In the latest, he has a radio actress living in Manhattan in the
>1930s. His question is: What part of Manhattan might be a credible address
>for such a woman? She plays a leading role in a daytime radio serial in the
>1930s.
>
>It would be a bonus if someone could also find a source which would give
>the salary this woman would have made.
>
>I checked numerous resources at my university without finding any
>information on this topic.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Please respond to me at [log in to unmask]
>

>Sincerely,
>

>Phyllis Wright
>

>Phyllis M. Wright
>Head, Reference & Information Services Department
>The James A. Gibson Library
>Brock University
>St. Catharines, Ontario
>CANADA  L2S 3A1