From:
Sallie Sypher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:21:56 +0000
Sybil Ludington was the daughter of Col. Henry Ludington of the Dutchess
County Militia.  She lived in what is now Kent, New York, in Putnam County
(then a part of Dutchess County).  We know she lived, where she fits into
the Ludington family, whom she married, and where she is buried (in the
Presbyterian/Episcopal churchyard in Patterson, Putnam County).  What we
don't know absolutely is that she made the famous ride at all, for there is
no contemporary documentary evidence.  However, we do know who were the
officers in her father's regiment; and from the Erskine maps, we know where
many of them lived.  The local legend of her route makes sense.  She was
summoning the militia because the British were burning Danbury, which is not
very far away.  I, for one, believe the story even though no one ever wrote
it down until it was recorded by a Ludington family member early in the 20th
century.

There have been children's books, stories, poems, and even an opera about
her ride.  A commemorative postage stamp was issued on the bicentennial of
the ride.  There is an annual bike ride in honor of her feat.  Quite a few
SED historic markers erected in the 1930s stand along her route
commemorating her ride as well as her father's march to Connecticut.

People who are interested in more information about Sybil's ride may request
what we call "the Sybil packet" from Richard Muscarella, Putnam County
Historian, 121 Main Street, Brewster NY 10509-1435 (tel: 914-278-7209) or by
E-mailing to [log in to unmask] or by replying to me at
[log in to unmask]  The Historian's Office asks for $2.50 made out to
the "County of Putnam" to pay for the copying and mailing.

o srequest the
cs
.  jalong the route taken by her father's regiment
whenmilitiathedmarkersmapostage stamp yes, tPeople who are interested in
more information a

i ti, There is no contemporary documentary eficdorte ide y, andthe in the
militia regi s tyaceme,l(ye e,j  MilitiadDCcAt 10:51 AM 6/18/98 -0400, you
wrote:
>I took a phone inquiry from a Texas publisher trying to verify the
existence and historic association of this woman (either spelling) who may
have undertaken a ride to warn of a British advance in either Massachusetts
or New York during the Revolution and is reputed to have historical markers
erected to her deed, possibly in New York, and a DAR statue erected to her
memory, possibly in Carmel, NY.

>There have recently been some exchanges on another listserv regarding this
woman, but so far nothing resolved.