NYHIST-L Archives

May 2002

From:
HistorianCindyA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 10:48:29 -0400
While reading microfilm for something else, I came across some cool articles.  Thought you would find them interesting.  Also came across one about George Haziitt and Miss Sadie Allen riding the rapids at Niagara Falls in Nov. of 1886.  Its pretty descriptive, I'll send it over later.
BATAVIA DAILY NEWS
Friday Evening, December 3, 1886

A WOMAN WHO VOTED
It has just become known that Mrs. Lucy S. Barber voted a full set of ballots in the village of Alfred, Allegany county, at the last election.  Being challenged, she demanded the oath prescribed by law for challenged persons, and took it.  There are rumors of some attempt to punish her, but she said she acted under legal advice, has violated no law and will defend herself if necessary.
(Same day)
WRECK OF THE ARIADNE
-HER CREWS TOUGH EXPERIENCE ON LAKE ONTARIO-
-Story Told by a Rescued Sailor How the Captain and Others Met Their Death-The Schooner Gone to Pieces-
BY TELEGRAPH TO THE NEWS.
     OSWEGO, Dec. 3.- The schooner Ariadne went ashore at Mexico bay yesterday morning.  She was in command of Capt. McKay and was bound to this port form Toronto.  Her crew were all from Toronto.
     The schooner was an old vessel, valued at $3,500, and will prove a total loss, together with her cargo.  Collins, one of the sailors rescued from the wreck, tells the following story:  We left South Bay Point at 8 a.m. Wednesday for Oswego with 12,000 bushels of barley.  The day was pleasant until about 5 p.m., when the wind shifted around to the northwest and blew a gale.  It began to snow very hard and the vessel was badly iced up.  When about off Oswego we lost our mainmast and drifted past the harbor.  We could see large fires on the shore and rockets which were evidently sent up by persons on the beach.  At about 2 a.m. we struck, the waves making a clean breach over the vessel.  The vessel then began to sink and we all went forward and lashed ourselves in the rigging.  The captain was swept overboard by a huge wave.  Two seamen, whose names I don't know, we're also lost overboard."
BATAVIA DAILY NEWS
Saturday Evening, December 4, 1886

HORSES, BUGGY AND MAN UNDER THE ICE.
   About noon yesterday two boys, walking on the towpath of the canal, discovered, about half way between the Main and Yogersoll street bridges in Albion, a wagon wheel protruding from the ice.  A party of men was soon at work breaking the ice, and a horse and buggy and the body of a man were brought to the surface before long.  The misfortunate man proved to be Nicholas Gavin, who lived at Curtis Corners, about eight miles north of Albion.  Gavin spent Thursday in Albion and got drunk, which accounts for his death.  A man was in his company during that day and it is feared he, too, is lost.  Savin was 60 years old and leaves a widow and several children.
All typed exactly as written. (Including Gavin/Savin)

--
Cindy Amrhein
Town of Alabama Historian