Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 22:04:04 EDT
    The recent query about stampless covers and material collected by stamp
collectors raises a question that I have meant to ask.  Why are so many
documents from the New York State Controller's Office dating from the first
half of the 19th century for sale by dealers at antique shows, and on
eBay,etc.?.  There are thousands of interesting letters addressed to the
Comptroller of New York State for sale.  I have been curious why all these
documents are not State records and are not in the State Archives.

Paul Huey