Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:17:37 -0700
At 05:12 PM 6/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I am a fourth grade teacher in upstate New York.  The social studies
>curriculum is local/New York State history.  The fourth and fifth grade
>classes will be enrolled in the New York State Historical Association's
>"Young Yorker" program next year.  I am looking for project ideas that would
>encourage parent involvement.  Any ideas?
>
>Melissa Jerreld

Melissa,

We interviewed and brought local "old-timers" into the school.  Every
morning we added an interesting fact about local history to the
announcements.  Our twice monthly newsletter had a column about local
history and the kids made a time-line on the library wall that showed how
world events corresponded with local events.  We dedicated a special section
of the library to local history and integrated local history into the whole
curriculums. Everyone was involved and enjoyed it.  We won a Golden Bell for
the project.

Jorga, Tucson