NYHIST-L Archives

March 2000

From:
Walter Greenspan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:40:47 EST
Paul Huey & NY Historians, etc.,

On 03/21/2000 (12:00:57 PM EST), Paul Huey ([log in to unmask]) posted the
following:

We have an original letter dated "Plymouth, Nov. 26, 1777," telling of
military actions around Philadelphia in October 1777.  It was written to
Thomas Rodman of Fishkill, N.Y., from a New York soldier, Nathaniel Tom, who
was from Flushing, N.Y., but who died and was buried in South Dover, Dutchess
County, in 1784.  Thomas Rodman was Nathaniel Tom's wife's uncle, and I think
they were Quakers.

Where was "Plymouth," where Nathaniel Tom was recovering from sickness
when he wrote this letter?  I doubt that he was in Massachusetts.  There is a
"Plymouth Hill" in Dutchess County.  Was there also a village or community
named Plymouth, in Queens County if not Dutchess County?

I relayed this query to a Quaker eFriend, whose first name is Joy, and
received the following reply from Joy:

Walter,

I don't know where Plymouth was.  I find a Plymouth currently in the middle
of Chenango Co. per DeLorme Gazeteer.  I have no idea if that could be the
right one.

It seems more likely it's Plymouth, PA, considering the Phila reference.
That's near Wilkes-Barre.

There were Rodmans in Queens and Westchester who were Quakers and it seems
likely that this Thomas is descended from them.  I don't see any Tom in
Hinshaw III, but there's Thomas Toms, a non-member, buried at Houston St.
cem. in Manhattan.  His wife was Catherine Farrington.  He died 7/3/1816 at
age 73.  Catherine was a
Quaker, disowned for marrying him in 1781.

My information from Dutchess Co. is kind of sketchy.  I have my husband's
ancestors and a list of weddings from 9-Partners MM, 1769-1782.  No Rodmans
there.

If he hasn't looked at it yet, he ought to check the ALHN site for Dutchess
Co.  It's about the best County site I've come across in terms of vitals,
etc. http://www.alhn.org/index.html

Hope that helps some.

Joy

Thank you, Joy and I, too, hope this information is helpful.

Regards,

Walter Greenspan