NYHIST-L Archives

October 1999

From:
Walter Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 20:11:36 -0400
John Rathbone wrote:

> >Several of us in southeastern Madison County have heard that there was a
> >rather one-sided battle fought within the Village of Hamilton during the War
> >of 1812.  However, no local people seem to know anything about it.  I have
> >been told that this battle is commemorated on a huge plaque in the
> >Parliament buildings in Ottawa.

This feels very much like the Battle of Stoney Creek (5 June 1813) which
took place in what is now an eastern suburb of the city of Hamilton,
Ontario (which community barely, if at all, existed in 1813).  It was
followed by the Battle of Beaver Dams (21 June 1813) which featured
Laura Secord, one of the more celebrated heroines of nineteenth-century
Canada (Americans have Dolly Madison treats, Canadians have Laura Secord
chocolates).

Without going for another walk around the Parliament Buildings, I can
almost guarantee there is no battle of the War of 1812 on American soil
celebrated there. These two are among those about which Canadians do
care.

Walter Lewis