NYHIST-L Archives

April 2002

From:
Stephen Schechter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Schechter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:39:10 -0500
There are some living novelists writing novels set in NYS. Peter Quinn's Banished Children of Eve (Penguin, 1994) set in Civil War NYC, Steven Milhauser's Martin Dressler (Vintage, 1996) set in late 19th century NYC, Lauren Belfer's City of Light (Bantam Dell, 1999) set in Buffalo in 1900.

For a wonderful debate on the historical novel see Vidal vs. Freeman on Burr (not one of our most favorite sons but a real character) in Mark C. Carnes, Novel History, which includes other murderous debates betwen novelists and the historians who study them, including (as I recall) Russell Banks, Cloudsplitter [aka John Brown], with some scenes in his home-a-way-from-meyhem in upstate NY.

Jack Vanderhoof has written a review essay with cites on historical novels set in late 18th century NYS in Stephen Schechter, The Reluctant Pillar (Madison House).

Stephen Schechter

Original Email