NYHIST-L Archives

October 1999

From:
Daniel Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:43:35 -0400
Actually, I don't think it TECHNICAL:LY/officially became the state capital
until a few years ago.  I think Kingston was the official one for a while.
Indeed, as a native Albanian I can tell you that rumors were rampant during
the construction of the Empire State Plaza (what we call the South Mall)
that the then mayor of Albany, Erastus Corning, opposed the mall so
adamantly, that he was going to use the fact that Albany was not the
official capital to prevent it's construction.  All rumors, of course.
.