NYHIST-L Archives

March 2000

From:
Greg Ketcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:27:00 -0500
At 11:58 AM 3/26/00 EST, you wrote:
>I sent the note on to a fellow that might be able to help with this
>discussion. Here is his reply.  Les Buell
>
>Les,
>I regards to the letter you fowarded to me.
>    I would tend to disagree that The Plymouth they are taking about is
>Plymouth, PA near Wilkes-Barre because at that time Plymouth was not
>established and it would have been on the outskirts of the Wyoming
>settlement. Not a lot of chance that a soldier would be there during this
>time (1777). The Wyoming settlement was
>8 months away from the Massacre and would have only had some Militia and that
>would have been in FortyFort and Wilkes-Barre proper.
>My guess it was somewhere near Plymouth Meeting North  just North of
>Philadelphia.
>Jim

All:
Agreed on Jim's point about the lack of settlement in the Wyoming Valley. I
would locate a map of the general Philadelphia area for the period in
question to determine if Plymouth Meeting existed at the time. Many (but
not all) towns in that vicinity were settled by Welsh Quakers: Bala Cynwyd,
etc. The name "Plymouth Meeting" no doubt refers to the Quaker Meeting
house for that area.

regards,

Greg Ketcham
webmaster,
"Drums Along The Mohawk: the American Revolution on the New York Frontier"
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/4171