NYHIST-L Archives

October 2001

From:
Sandy Parks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:20:34 -0400
A friend emailed with a question I thought this list might help answer.
Any information would be appreciated.

There was a tidal wave that hit Boston (I think) or maybe New York--some

major port up north and it was back in the 1700 or 1800's.  Does anyone
know anything about this?  Year, port, ship name or anything?  I  am
checking other places, but just though I would go ahead and throw this
question out there because I have discovered some interesting family
history.

I learned of an ancestor, an English woman who was tricked into a sham
marriage by a bounder, who after spending the wedding night with her on
the
ship sailing from America to England, stole all her luggage and dowry
and
left her on the ship destitute (and pregnant).  She lived the rest of
her
life in semi-seclusion but was able to support herself and her
illegitimate
child as an artist (quite a feat for a woman in rural England).  Then,
when
the child was of an older age, she went to stay in America with a
relative
so that she could have a "normal" upbringing.  My ancestor went to visit

her daughter there, and the ship docked in Boston? New York?,
unfortunately, on the very day that tidal wave swept in.  She was
killed.

Thanks,
Sandy Parks