NYHIST-L Archives

April 2002

From:
HistorianCindyA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:32:26 -0400
Hello all,
To  those of you who are residents of NYS, the Association of Public Historians of New York State (APHNYS) have some things in the works that you may be interested in.
We passed a resolution last fall to document the effects of September 11th within our own communities.  This can be stories of your reactions, what you told your children, their drawings, any fund raising events you held, etc.  So if you have anything to share please pass it along to your local NY municipal historian.
We also passed 2 resolutions at our spring conference.  One is in support of the appointment of a State Historian, a position that has been left vacant for a number of years.  Also a resolution in opposition of NY forming an institute called NYICE.  This is not a good thing and will effect your ability to collect and preserve history.  They want to do away with the Office of Cultural Education.  Take the State Archives, State Library, and State Museum and glump them into this new thing called New York State Institute of Cultural Education (NYICE).  The money they plan to use to fund this will come from the Local Government Records Management Improvement Fund.  The money that goes into this fund comes from various documents that get filed in the county clerks office.  As you know there are certain filing fees, which the state intends to quadruple!  By law the money that goes into that fund is for Records Management Grants (Sara grants), Documentary Heritage Program, and the State Archives Trust, and for nothing else.  BUT thats what the state intends to use for NYICE.  Basically there will be little to nothing for grants if they do this, and it will also have an effect on services from the Archives, Museum and Library.  Bad stuff.
If your organization wishes to oppose this (As many are, as well as several municipalities) I suggest a resolution or letter to your Senator.  They plan to have this take effect July 1, 2002!  You can see what we did at our web site off the main page.  The web address is
http://www.tier.net/aphnys   I put both our resolutions on the website.
Just thought I'd pass that along.  Us history folk don't like to hear our services are getting the ax.
-
Cindy Amrhein
Town of Alabama Historian
in Genesee Co., NY
Experience the Town of Alabama in Genesee County, NY.
http://www2.pcom.net/cinjod/historian/
APHNYS (Association of Public Historians of New York State)
http://www.tier.net/aphnys