NYHIST-L Archives

October 2000

Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 07:15:20 -0400
I thought this might be of interest to many on this list who are
concerned about the preservation of historic sites

Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter
Vol 5 No 41  October 7, 2000

 - Leiden, Holland, Pilgrim Sites Threatened

Two years ago I had the pleasure of visiting Leiden, Netherlands.
I walked in the neighborhood where the Pilgrims lived prior to
their trip to Plymouth, Massachusetts. I also toured the Leiden
American Pilgrim Museum. Even though I do not have Pilgrim
ancestry, I felt a strong sense of connection to an important
piece of American history.

This week I was distressed to read the following warning from
Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs, Director of the Leiden American Pilgrim
Museum. Much of this historical area may soon be destroyed. I
would suggest that every reader of this newsletter write a letter
or e-mail to each party listed. Also, please distribute this
information onto newslists, forums, chat boards and genealogy
society newsletters as you see fit:

    NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN PILGRIM SITES DEMOLITION PLANS: LEIDEN'S
    VROUWEKERK AND AALMARKT SITES

    Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs, Director, Leiden American Pilgrim
    Museum,

    November 7, 2000, has been set for the Council of State's
    hearing on the City of Leiden's intention to demolition the
    remains of the Vrouwekerk, the medieval church that was used
    by the Walloons (Huguenots) after the Reformation. Through its
    association with the families of Philip Delano, Francis Cooke
    and his wife Hester Mayhew, Edward Bumpas and other Huguenots
    who became Pilgrims, this site symbolizes the confluence of
    two major streams in the history of persecution, refuge,
    religious freedom, and colonial migration - the English
    Separatists now called the Pilgrims and the French Calvinists
    known as the Huguenots. In addition to the Pilgrim
    connections, this is the church from which numerous families
    emigrated to New York and Guyana in 1622-24, led by Jesse de
    Forest. Thus the site is important for its historical
    associations with the beginnings of colonial settlement in
    both New York and New Netherlands.

    In a new development, the Council of State has informed the
    parties in the case that they may submit new evidence and
    supporting materials up to two weeks before the date of the
    hearing. Thus it becomes possible for me to submit individual
    letters expressing support for my contention that the cultural
    and historical value of the Vrouwekerk ruin as an important
    symbol of the ties between The Netherlands and America
    justifies a decision to prevent demolition. I can also now
    include a copy of the petition which many people have signed,
    as evidence in this case. This new development is very
    encouraging and inspires hopes that the Council of State will
    recognize the value of preserving this ruin to commemorate an
    important link in the common histories of The Netherlands,
    Belgium, France, and America.

    Please send letters of support for preserving the Vrouwekerk
    to me before October 15. I will then submit them to the
    Council of State.

    My postal address is:

    Mandenmakerssteeg 11,
    2311 ED Leiden
    The Netherlands
    My (new) e-mail address is:

    Thank you very much for your continued support in this effort.

    [Dispute details in the following sub-article:]

    AALMARKT DEVELOPMENTS

    Following discussions and decisions on the town's plans to
    regulate prostitution (only four brothels), which the central
    government has decriminalized as of October 1st, Leiden's Town
    Council debated the Aalmarkt demolition plans in its meeting
    last Tuesday, September 12, 2000. Despite eloquently expressed
    opposition to large-scale construction and to demolition of
    the historic sites in the Aalmarkt area, the coalition led by
    the Labor Party (PvdA), circumvented attempts by the
    opposition parties to require preservation of historic
    monuments as well as to require competitive bidding and plan
    proposals, thus retaining complete control of the development
    within the cabinet of the mayor and aldermen. After several
    months of further work on the drawing boards, that group
    intends to present a choice to the council of two development
    alternatives, both of which presuppose large-scale demolition
    to accomplish the amount of new floor-space for large stores
    that private investors want to build where numerous sixteenth
    and seventeenth-century houses and other historic monuments
    now stand. The cabinet of the mayor and alderman have
    expressed their entire confidence in the ability of the single
    private development company they have chosen (without
    competitive bidding) to achieve plans which will represent the
    best way to accomplish a profitable future for the city's
    selected investors and to provide employment to local
    contractors who traditionally support the Labor Party. The
    damaging effects on existing small businesses and the traffic
    chaos that can be foreseen are very sensitive to the fact that
    one of the major investors, AHOLD, has discovered that its
    American shoppers are unhappy that their money is going to a
    company that intends to participate in the destruction of an
    aspect of [history] are topics that were postponed by
    promising future clarification.

    Recent architectural surveys of the buildings prove that the
    hospital wing where Myles Standish recuperated from wounds is
    practically intact, with enough of its timber roof from 1571
    still there to make complete restoration a real possibility.
    The cabinet, however, has explicitly retained the "right" to
    determine that such monuments will be demolished if it is
    otherwise impossible to achieve the financial goals of the
    property developer and the investors.

    In a public debate (Sept. 5) and at an open meeting of the
    town council's Commission on Urban Planning (Sept. 7),
    numerous groups hoping to improve the city through preserving
    its cultural and historic fabric echoed the pleas of the
    (essentially powerless) National Monument Service and spoke in
    favor of development without demolition. These groups included
    the Aalmarkt Foundation, The Leiden Cultural Platform, The
    Leiden Antiquarian Association "Oud Leiden", The Heritage
    Preservation Society "Heemschut", The Arent van 's-Gravezande
    Foundation for Architectural Heritage Preservation, and The
    Leiden American Pilgrim Museum. The public response is
    overwhelmingly in favor of preservation, and several speakers
    specifically pointed out the need to preserve places that
    serve to commemorate the city's role in the Pilgrim story, in
    addition to the widespread general concern that a few
    politicians and their friends, making decisions behind closed
    doors, are destroying irrevocably the city these citizens
    love.

    AHOLD is the Dutch holding company that owns STOP & SHOP,
    Giant-Landover, Giant-Carlisle, Tops Markets, BI-LO, and
    Pathmark Stores.

    Your letter to AHOLD will help in the preservation effort.
    Write to:

    Royal Ahold
    P.O.Box 3050
    1500 HB Zaandem,
    The Netherlands
    e-mail: [log in to unmask]

    Another company interested in investing in this demolition is
    the Fortis Financial Group. They are included among the
    addresses to which all reports from the developer are sent.
    You may want to contact their American offices, also.

    Write to:
    Fortis Investors Inc.
    P.O.Box 64284
    St. Paul, MN 55164
    or contact them at e-mail: [log in to unmask]

    It is impossible to predict the outcome of this conflict
    between the interests of those with hopes for a future
    grounded in the reminders of a proud heritage and the
    interests of those searching to maximize profits in the short
    term. Your letters will count, now.

    Thank you,
    Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs
update
Dick Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter
Vol 5 No 43  Oct 21, 2000

 - More on the Threat to the Leiden, Holland, Pilgrim Sites

Two weeks ago I wrote about the City of Leiden's intention to
demolition the remains of the Vrouwekerk, the medieval church that
was used by the Walloons (Huguenots) after the Reformation.
Several Huguenot families, including Philip Delano, Francis Cooke
and his wife Hester Mayhew, Edward Bumpas and others, later became
Pilgrims. As such, this site is important in both Dutch and
American history.

According to Dr. Jeremy D. Bangs of the Leiden American Pilgrim
Foundation in Leiden, a victory for genealogists and historians
can now be proclaimed. Dr. Bangs writes, "Regarding the Aalmarkt
site, we've won! - to the extent that AHOLD has just sent me
letters announcing their refusal to participate in the project if
Pilgrim sites are threatened! Great news! Of course, the town
itself has yet to change its attitude, but this may heavily
influence them. The many letters and the UCC petition have been
very important in this, which is half the fight here. I'm sending
you copies of the two letters I got this evening.

"This development does not mean that we can relax about the
Vrouwekerk; and how the town reacts to the Aalmarkt situation must
be watched carefully. An alderman told me that they would just try
to find other investors if AHOLD pulls out, and that means
pressure still needs to be exerted on FORTIS and ABN/AMRO. But it
is certainly an important shift in the scenery."

One of the letters he mentions is from Hans Gobes, Senior Vice
President of AHOLD, a company that wanted to build a new store in
the area. Mr. Gobes wrote, "As you have been informed AHOLD made
clear to the Leiden city government on July 7 that it does not
want a new store location in the center of Leiden if this would
mean that Pilgrim monuments would have to be demolished. We
believe it should be possible to do the center project while
leaving the monuments intact. Today I repeated our position in a
telephone conversation with a Leiden city official. As it seems
there is growing interest and as I want to avoid misunderstandings
we plan to contact next week the local Leiden newspaper for an
article on AHOLD's position."

As Dr. Bangs points out, this is not the end of the battle. It
simply means that one of the would-be developers has pulled out.
There are others. Your letters and e-mails are still important.

Those wishing to contact Fortis can write or send e-mail to:
   Fortis Investors Inc.
   P.O. Box 64284
   St. Paul, MN 55164

For ABN/AMRO, write to: