NYHIST-L Archives

March 2000

Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:38:50 EST
New York correction professionals and historians are among those appearing on
camera during a one-hour cable TV documentary premiering:

Date:     Monday, March 6
Time:    10 P.M. Eastern Time
Place:   History Channel
Title:   "Prisons"

The documentary was done as part of the History Channel's "Modern Marvels"
series focusing on architectural and engineering developments. The
documentary examines the relation of penal philosophy and prison
architecture.

The New York Correction History Society (NYCHS) assisted the documentary's
producers but we have not previewed the documentary. A number of NYCHS
officers and members were interviewed during the documentary's production
and, we are told, appear in it, including:
    Board of Trustees chairman/Commissioner Bernard B. Kerik,
    Executive Committee member-at-large/Superintendent Brant Kehn,
    Charter member/Professor Roger Panetta and
    Yours truly,

Tom McCarthy
NYCHS general secretary
http://www.correctionhistory.org

PS -- After viewing it, please drop us a line or two ([log in to unmask]) on
what you thought of it. Toss flowers or brickbats. It's our society's first
experience providing contacts, facts and ideas to TV documentary producers
who came to us -- as they did with others elsewhere in the country -- looking
for help with a correction history subject. It's not our documentary but we
did try to be helpful as did other history-minded correctional persons
elsewhere around the country.