NYHIST-L Archives

August 2002

From:
Cindy Amrhein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:26:09 -0400
Genesee and Livingston County Clerks offices have gone digital this
year.  Wyoming County is in the process.  So now rather than flipping
open books and using the copy machine, we can print deeds etc off the
computer.
Two years ago though Alabama got grant funding to microfilm all their
town minutes from 1826 forward, we sent a roll to the county history
department too.  We then sent the books to a paper preservation place
and had them restored,  then put them in our climate controled records
room.
The minutes were a lot of volumes and pages and don't get read by the
public all that often. (Although I enjoy reading them) I would think in
the case of the school book there would be more public interest. Digital
imaging, and then put on the net would be handy for those doing their
genealogies.   There are some good archival preservation places out
there too.  We used Browns River to restore our minute books.  They had
a competive price and did a wonderful job.

--
Cindy Amrhein
Town of Alabama Historian

**********************
Historian's Page - Alabama, NY
http://www2.pcom.net/cinjod/historian/
Experience the town of Alabama in Genesee County, New York. History, tombstone inscriptions, census records, history of the Tonawanda Seneca Indians and the Iroquois. Enjoy a good murder mystery?  Read about the murders of Polly Frisch.

APHNYS
(The Association of Public Historians of New York State)
http://www.tier.net/aphnys/

Genesee County, NY website. Includes History Department, (under "Historian")
 http://www.co.genesee.ny.us/

The Genesee Area Genealogy Society lists the names and addresses for all the Genesee & Wyoming County Historians
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nygags/hist.htm