NYHIST-L Archives

May 1996

From:
Patrick Eagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 01 May 1996 08:13:54 -0400
At 08:24 PM 4/29/96 -0400, Ruth Harper wrote:
>Hello David Minor,
>
>I read your posting of NYS history 1935-1939 with interest. I will be
>looking forward to the early (17th Century) history with much interest.
>
>I live in Ontario, near Cobourg.  A pity there isn't still ferry service
>across the lake.

   I recall from my youth the Lake Ontario ferry from Rochester to Cobourg.
When was the ferry discontinued?

Pat Eagan
3901 NW 23rd Court
Boca Raton, FL 33431
(407) 451-3131

From [log in to unmask] Wed May  1 18:59:04 1996
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 19:00:55 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Chrysler Farm??
content-length: 302

There was a battle of Chrysler's Farm. It was fought on November 11, 1813.
The site is in Canada, just north of the St. Lawrence River. There was a
pamphlet published  by the St. Lawrence Park Commission, Morrisburg, Ontario,
entitled, "The Day of Chrysler's Farm  by Ronald L. Way (no copyright date)
From [log in to unmask] Thu May  2 21:56:15 1996
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 22:09:14 -0400
To: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (Ruth Harper)
Subject: Re: Lake Ferry
content-length: 760

Then, on Wed, May 1st, 1996, Pat Eagan, of Boca Raton, Fl., wrote :

>   I recall from my youth the Lake Ontario ferry from Rochester to Cobourg.
>When was the ferry discontinued?

The Cobourg, Ontario Library advised me that Ferry # 1 ceased running in
1949 and Ferry # 2 made its final run on April 28th, 1950, according to the
Newspapers of the time. New  and costly safety  regulations lead to the
discontinuation of this service. $1.50 was memtioned as being the price of a
ticket.
Ruth (Pigott) Harper      [log in to unmask]

From [log in to unmask] Sun May  5 20:51:53 1996
Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 20:53:53 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Registers of Historic Places
content-length: 391

A property on the register is not restricted in what the owner can do with
it, provided it is with private money and there are no federal or state
permits needed.  If an individual wants to demolish it, he or she can do so.
 If the listed property is within a historic district, or there is a design
review board (HARB), then there may be additional restrictions.

Questions?  Contact me.

From [log in to unmask] Mon May  6 11:22:17 1996
Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 08:22:32 -0700 (MST)
From: TJ Davis <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
content-length: 252

Does anyone have the citation(s) to the controlling legislation on
historic places, historic sites, and preservation --  at both the federal
and New York State levels?

If someone would provide the citation(s) here, that would be helpful.

Cheers,

From [log in to unmask] Mon May  6 14:05:55 1996
From: Neil Larson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 14:07:47 -0400 (EDT)
content-length: 210

In reference to TJ Davis's query, I suggest you call the State Historic
Preservation Office at 518-237-8643 and talk to Bob Kuhn who is the
coordinator of the NR program.  I am sure he has the citations handy.
From [log in to unmask] Mon May  6 15:28:51 1996
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 15:30:50 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: NYS 1940-1944
content-length: 2984

1940
Apr 17 - Eagles Byte founder David Minor is born in Batavia.
Jul 18 - The Democrats nominate Franklin Delano Roosevelt for
   reelection, with Henry A. Wallace as his running mate.
Aug 17 - Roosevelt meets with Canadian Prime Minister Mackenzie King at
Ogdensburg to discuss the defense of North America.
Aug 18 - Roosevelt and King sign the Ogdensburg Agreement, creating the
Permanent Joint Board of Defense.
Dec 6 - Rock and roll singer Steve Alaimo is born in Rochester.

 Rochester - The Italian-language newspaper La Stampa Unita
   changes its name to The Rochester Press and introduces
   features in English.

1941
Jun 11 - Naturalist-illustrator and Boy Scouts of America co-founder Daniel
Carter Beard, 70,  dies in Suffern.
Jun 30 - President Roosevelt establishes the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library at
Hyde Park.
Nov 26 - Rochester's Committee to Aid Colored Draftees holds a benefit to
raise money for black soldiers.

 A new building at the Brockport Normal and Training School is
   completed. It will eventually become Hartwell Hall.

 Media - Samuel I. Newhouse buys the Syracuse Herald-Standard.

1942
Apr 21 - Architect-designer Gustav Stickley, 85, dies in Syracuse.
Jul 1 -  Brockport Normal and Training School officially becomes  Brockport
State Teachers College.
Oct 22 - Actress-singer-Mousketeer Annette Funicello is born in Utica.
Nov 6  - A fireworks factory explosion in East Rochester kills twelve people,
mostly female workers.

 Rochester - The Rochester Press fails.    **    The Committee for the
 Preservation of Christian Democracy is formed to attempt to get the Italian
Communitys' relatives in Europe to vote for democracy and not for Communism.

1943
Apr 8 - Stage musicals director Michael Bennett is born in Buffalo.

 The Randall Mansion in Cortland is demolished.       **    The
  Caledonia StateFair skips the season because of gasoline rationing.

1944
Apr 7 -  Jazz tenor saxophone player Pat Pascel LaBarbera is born in Warsaw.

Jun 27 - The Republicans meet for three days in Chicago, Illinois, nominate
governor Thomas E. Dewey and Ohio governor John  Bricker.
Aug 1  - Exiled Filipino president Manuel Quezon, 65, die in Saranac  Lake.
Sergio Osmena is sworn in, the new president-in-exile.
September -  President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill sign a
memorandum at Hyde Park, to keep the atom bomb a secret from Russia.
December - Rochester uses imported German prisoners of war to shovel snow.

 Herrick's Castle (Ericstan) in Tarrytown is demolished.

 Records - Rosie Carnemolla is born in Poughkeepsie. She will attain a peak
weight of 840 pounds.
 Rochester - Jean Walrath becomes the city's first female political
candidate.    **    The Italian Culture Club helps establish the Il Scolo
Italian language summer school.

For a free subscription to Odds & Ends
a monthly online world history newsletter
e-mail me at either:
     david [log in to unmask]
or:

David
From [log in to unmask] Tue May  7 00:20:36 1996
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 21:22:30 -0700
To: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (Evelyn C. Robinson)
Subject: NATURALIZATION
content-length: 349

If a man immigrants from England to USA, settles in NY, then voluteers to
serve his new country as an officer in the 67th NY Voluteers during the
CIVIL WAR and serves his time, is he automatically given his naturalization
papers, or does he still have to apply for them after the war.
Sure need some help on this one.

Evelyn  -- [log in to unmask]

From [log in to unmask] Tue May  7 07:26:24 1996
Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 07:27:14 -0400
From: Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject:  NYS 1940-1944 -Reply
content-length: 163

The things you learn: where else would I have found the New York
connections, in a single place, of Manuel Quezon, Steve Alaimo, Dan
Beard and Annette Funicello?

From [log in to unmask] Thu May  9 08:08:37 1996
From: [log in to unmask] (Perry Streeter)
Subject: SWIFT, Elisha: Record of 1816 NYS Missionary Tour
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 05:08:56 -0700 (PDT)
content-length: 1349

SWIFT, Elisha:  Record of 1816 NYS Missionary Tour

In 1816, Elisha Swift toured NYS as a missionary for the American
Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions.  According to Robert
Oakes' Historically Speaking feature in the 14 September 1994
edition of The Evening Tribune (Hornell, Steuben Co., NY), Swift
left a fairly detailed record of his adventures; numerous excerpts
are cited in the article.

My ancestor, Thomas Streeter [1753-1831], was a Strict Baptist
Minister; he settled near Bath, Steuben Co. in 1794.  His preaching
activities at Bath are documented in "A History of the Purchase and
Settlement of Western New York and of the Rise, Progress, and
Present State of the Presbyterian Church in That Section" (M.W.
Dodd, Brick Church Chapel, New York, New York, [1848]) by Reverend
James Hervey Hotchkins.  In 1813, Thomas Streeter relocated to the
Canisteo River Valley in Southwestern Steuben County.

How can I obtain a copy of Elisha Swift's journal, in whole or in
part?  I have logged into the card catalogs of the University of
Rochester and Cornell University but I was not able to find
anything.

Thank you for referrals to Elisha Swift's records or any other
documents pertaining to the early religious history of Steuben
County.

Perry Streeter ([log in to unmask])
169 Cliffside Drive
Canandaigua, New York  14424-8809
From [log in to unmask] Thu May  9 09:15:14 1996
From: "Philip L. Lord" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 09:17:21 EDT
content-length: 494

I can't give you any clues as to where to find the journal, but if
you do, I would very much like to discuss it with you. My research
into inland navigation during the period of 1790 to 1820, before the
Erie Canal, searches for eyewitness accounts by travelers on that
system. If this journal covers extensive travel in New York, and any
of it was by water, I would be very much interested in seeing it.

Good luck wth your search.

Philip Lord
New York State Museum
From [log in to unmask] Thu May  9 10:57:49 1996
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 10:59:28 -0900 (PDT)
From: Barbara Lilley <[log in to unmask]>
To: nyhistory listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: AMC Preservation Festival (fwd)
content-length: 1924

I am cross posting this for those of you who might not have seen it.

Barbara Lilley
New York State Library