NYHIST-L Archives

February 2003

From:
gerard koeppel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:45:22 -0500
I realize this is not the answer you're looking for but on 18 December
1634 in the Mohawk Valley just west of Fort Orange (Albany) Harmen
Meydertsz van den Boagaert bought from Seneca women some dried and fresh
salmon ("the latter smelled very bad") at "one florin or two hands of
seawan" each.
(www.jollyroger.com/library1/OriginalNarrativesofEarlyAmericanHistoryebook.html
I've wondered myself at a florin's modern monetary value and hope
someone has the answer.

Gerard Koeppel
www.gerardkoeppel.com