NYHIST-L Archives

April 2001

From:
Ruth Messick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 08:58:36 -0400
Scott and others,

Many of you have used www.google.com but may not have tried some other ways
of searching it. I have shown hundreds of people how to keep using all
different combinations of words and we have pulled some great information
from sites, especially those on European information.

It is very important to try Italy/Italian,
Poland/Polish, Irish/Ireland, as you do not know what the titles or wording
is in the site. There are loads of records under Slovakia which have been
helping people with records from countries that no longer exist.
Methodically try using each word with the following words
Ireland Records
Ireland Vital Records
Ireland Vital Statistics
Ireland Church Records
Ireland Cemetery Records
Ireland Naturalization United State
Ireland Naturalization America
Ireland Immigrants United States
Ireland Immigrants America
Ireland Passengers United States
Ireland Death Records
Ireland Birth Records
Ireland Marriage Records
Keep thinking of all the possible records and words that might be on a
website. Put the county first
Mayo Ireland (and each of the above other words)
Then do the whole list again with Irish instead of Ireland
and you will discover many sites that were not found.
Put in phone numbers in Google and you will often avoid the White Pages and
Yellow Pages searching. Can't find a historical society or museum? Put
enough discriptive words in and you will probably find them if they have a
website. The first words are searched with priority so you may need to
reverse them.

Try Monje alone, then
Monje Genealogy
Monje Family - Discovered that 3-10 times more people use the word family in
their websites than the word genealogy.
Add a country after Monje Family and you will zero in on other websites
faster. This will pick up websites that have never been attached to the
usual sites of GenForum, Rootsweb, etc.
Google searches Canadian, US, S. American, European, Japanese,
Korean and Chinese Websites since last fall. There are people living all
over the world in the miltary, business and other reasons so they are all
over the world.

If you need to find medical info, or any interest you can imagine, this is
for you. I researched a GMC truck repair problem which the local Capital
District dealer replaced the fuel pump 3 times in less than a month. Found
the problem on a website for an "auto doctor". The dealer checked the
electrical system and found the covering on the wires were shorting out on
the frame and burning up the pumps. Simple solution after seeking the
experts on the Internet.

Anyway, let our imagination go with this and you can find
history of one state in another state or area. There is tremendous
information sitting in repositories somewhere else that you may want in NYS.
I am finding Saratoga in other places this way and making connections with
people who are there to help me further. Great way to connect.

God Bless
Ruth Ann Messick
Heritage Hunters of Saratoga