NYHIST-L Archives

January 2001

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:29:57 -0500
PH Lady-

I'm a little rusty on which counties were Erie Canal counties, but I think this is accurate, and I know the dates of county establishment are correct.

Albany, 1683
Cayuga, 1799
Erie, 1821
Genesee, 1802
Herkimer, 1791
Madison, 1806
Monroe, 1821
Montgomery, 1772
Niagara, 1808
Oneida, 1798
Onondaga, 1794
Ontario, 1789
Schenectady, 1809
Seneca, 1804
Wayne, 1823

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/22/01 06:56PM >>>
Could anyone tell me the names of the then-current counties through which
the canal system ran as of November 1824? I am exploring the relationship
between the course of the canal system and the designation as
exempt/non-exempt counties in the law which established the statewide system
of county poorhouses. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Linda Crannell
(aka=The Poorhouse Lady)
host of The POORHOUSE STORY at http://www.poorhousestory.com