NYHIST-L Archives

July 2000

From:
Bill Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 07:26:22 -0400
> It was this king, who had converted to Catholicism upon his marriage to
> his second wife, who was overthrown when his Protestant son-in-law,
> William, Prince of Orange landed in the south of England with a powerful
> army, and marched triumphantly towards London, everywhere being hailed as
> a deliverer.  The King fled to France, parliament declared the throne
> vacant, and William and his wife Mary (the oldest daughter of James II)
> were jointly proclaimed King and Queen.  Mary died five years later, and
> William in 1702, when his horse stumbled and he was thrown to the ground.
> Mary's younger sister, Anne, who like Mary was a child of James' first
> wife and had been raised a staunch Protestant, succeeded to the throne as
> Queen Anne, reigning 1702-1714.
>
> Anne had borne her husband, Prince George of Denmark, 17 children, but
> only one of them survived infancy, a son, William.  When he died at the
> age of 12, Anne signed the Act of Settlement designating the Hanoverian
> descendants of her great-grandfather (James I) as her successors, thus
> eliminating any claim to the throne by the children of James' second
> marriage.  The Hanoverian dynasty, which began with George I, is still on
> the throne, though the present Queen's grandfather changed its name to
> Windsor after Britain went to war with Germany in World War I.
>
> Nick.

Amen.  And in fact as of about twenty years ago when I was up to snuff on this
research for a book, Charles II had a sister raised a Catholic in France who
married and had issue.   And if you follow the Stuart line down the years the true
present king of England, et al is/was alive and well and living in Bavaria.  And,
sorry, I don't remember his name.  If anyone's truly interested I can dig out the
research.  Though there are doubtless those on this list who can recite it off by
heart.

Beverly Martin