NYHIST-L Archives

July 1997

From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:54:50 -0400
Special Collections, Feinberg Library, Plattsburgh SUNY, has a number of
manuscript pieces pertaining to the citizen soldiers including some muster
rolls and correspondence

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, mary ann schreck wrote:

> I'm not sure if this will help but you may want to look for a war of 1812
> bibliography called FREE TRADE AND SAILOR'S RIGHTS.   It is a published
> bibliography of library holdings including archives and personal papers
> pertaining to the War of 1812.
>
> On a personal note I am researching the Clinton County NY militia in the
> War of 1812.  If anyone has any suggestions on where I might find data on
> the citizen-soldiers of  Plattsburgh and the surrounding areas I would
> appreciate the help.
>
> ----------
> > From: Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Re: hospital ships in and about New York state] -Reply
> > Date: Monday, July 14, 1997 6:35 AM
> >
> > Now that the subject of prison hulks is
> > raised, I am interested in a relative of
> > mine who was confined in a British hulk
> > during the War of 1812, I assume
> > following the hostilities along the St.
> > Lawrence River. All I have is the family
> > story that he was so imprisoned and came
> > back in dreadful health which took many to
> > repair.
> >
> > Are there records of these POWs, either
> > in British or US sources?  Where and how
> > detailed and how accessible?

Wayne L. Miller                         Special Collections Librarian
Feinberg Library                        2 Draper Avenue
518-564-5206                            Plattsburgh, NY 12901
[log in to unmask]      or             [log in to unmask]
        "I wonder what will happen today!"  -Maggie Muggins-