NYHIST-L Archives

September 2002

From:
NWDB 2000 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:39:21 -0400
Ruth and list,

Just to add to your puzzle...
I am originally from the Ticonderoga area and I can remember my grandmother
telling me not to play in the front of the house, we lived way out in the
country on a main road, because the Gypsies who traveled the road stole
children.  There was also a man in the village whose first name was Gyp and
that was because the Gypsies left him.  Now this man lived right acrosss the
street from where my grandmother grew up in the 1870's and 80's.

Old wives tales and gossip, yes but like most folk tales and legends there
is usually somewhere a true basis for them even if based on
misunderstanding.

Rolland Miner
Director
NWDB Survey 2000