NYHIST-L Archives

November 2001

From:
Brian Keough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:29:58 -0500
Hardware dependent refers having the computer equipment to read the data.
For example, try reading computer files created in the 1970s and stored on
7inch floppy disks. Or how about database or word processing files created
20 years ago and stored in an obsolete software program such as
OfficeWriter. I agree one hundred percent that digital technologies are
fantastic for access. The problems associated with microfilm are not due to
the technology, but staff who were not trained properly or who did not
follow accepted guidelines for microfilming.  Microfilming or digitization
is only as good as the humans who operate these technologies. What happens
when a new format replaces JPEG? WILL DVD replace the CD as the acceptable
storage medium? Yes, there are free or shareware conversion programs but
you still need to PAY for staff to do the converting.

In addition we probably have at least 20-30 million pages of records in our
collections. We have not focused on digitizing primary sources, but rather
digitizing all of our finding aids see http://library.albany.edu/speccoll/

There are semester long courses on preserving electronic data, so I am not
going to present all the argument here. Simply put, if you are planning a
project to reformat a collection then should be in digital format for
ACCESS. and microfilm for PRESERVATION . Whether scanning or microfilming,
you still need to have the funds to pay staff to do the scanning. The
additional cost in digitization is migrating the formats so that the
information  will be readable in the future.

Brian Keough, Curator of Manuscripts
M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives
University at Albany, SUNY
New Library Room 355
Albany, NY 12222
Tel: (518) 437-3934