NYHIST-L Archives

May 2002

From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 19:54:14 GMT
The Adirondack Division of the New York Central did indeed run north from
Utica, through Remsen, Blue Mountain Lake, Tupper Lake, Lake Clear, Saranac
Lake to Lake Placid. Actually, it branched at Lake Clear with the main
track continuing north to Malone and on to Montreal. It was abandoned in
the '60's, but has been undergoing a revival. About ten years ago, part of
the line running from Old Forge began seasonal operations. They have
gradually expanded the run to the point that I think they go about fifteen
miles. Last year, after replacing the tracks between Saranac Lake and
Lake Placid, a similar seasonal tourist train began operations in the high
peaks region. Now, with a major transportation grant, a contract has been
awarded to rehab the entire route.

Jerry Pepper at the Adirondack Museum may have info. For info on Adirondack
trains in general, see Mike Kudish's books, esp.  Railroads of the
Adirondacks : a history. The Olympic Museum in Lake Placid may have some
info as it relates to the '32 Olympics.

Wayne Miller
Plattsburgh State