NYHIST-L Archives

March 2000

From:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 12:57:31 -0500
A quick web search gives me these two items:

From the Ezra Cornell papers:
July 20, August 1, 1864. J.H. Millspaugh to Ezra Cornell requesting his
assistance in starting a photography studio in Ithaca, and making use of a
room in the library building.

From an arts message board:
Very little is known about this artist, except that he was active as an
etcher in NYC in the 1880s, where he was member of the famous NY Etching
Club.  A painting of his dated 1872 is in the Palmer Museum at Penn State
Univ.  Millspaugh's etchings were self-published, and also by Max Jacoby and
the famous Klackner firm.   Millspaugh specialized in landscapes, and did
noteworthy etchings based on the watercolor paintings of Boston artist Louis
K. Harlow (1850-1913).  There is as yet no artist file on Millspaugh in any
museum library to my knowledge, nor at the National Museum of American Art
which maintains the Inventory of American paintings prior to 1914.  It is
believed that John H. Millspaugh lived in New Jersey, but as of May 1999 my
research has not yet confirmed birth/death dates.  I own a copy of the
Klackner catalog in the Smithsonian and can title any Millspaugh etchings
published by that firm.