NYHIST-L Archives

February 2003

From:
"Dr. Sara Gronim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:00:52 -0500
Hello All,

Would anyone be interested in responding to the query below, which I
recently received?  Her email is [log in to unmask]

Best,
Sara Gronim

Dear Prof. Gronim,

For the last three years, I have been working on a reference book about
colonial fortifications in North America (1530s to 1764). At this point
the photographic portion of the book is complete and with over 250
essays
from 160 some writers I am drawing close to publication. To date, I
have
found writers for all the major forts in colonial America as well as
Canada. Also, I have dozens of shorter essays on a variety of smaller
structures from across the colonies. However, there are still a couple
of
sites from New York state that I would very much like to include and
hope
you might assist me in my quest. Given your areas of study in colonial
history perhaps you might consider submitting a work.

Even if you are unavailable, I am hoping you might be able to put me in
contact with a few potential writers (i.e. an academic colleague,
promising student, library staff member, local historian, etc.) who may
have both interest and opportunity to cover one or more of the entries
listed below. In general, these are short entries (approx. 300 to 500
words) that merely combine a few physical details of the forts with any
readily available primary and/or secondary source material. The use of
existing work (published or otherwise) is strongly encouraged to ease
the
burden of research and writing.

The remaining unassigned essays for New York state are as follows:
1626-63: Dutch Fortifications in and around Manhattan (500 words)
Sites include, but not limited to, Fort New Amsterdam (1626), Amersfort
Blockhouse (1630, Brooklyn), Wall St. Palisade  (1653), Fort Neck (Long
Island, 1653), Staten Island blockhouse (1636 & 63), Bushwick
Blockhouses
(1662-63), fortification of Nooten (Governer's Island, no date)

1664: Fort James and the English Fortifications of New York City
(300-500
words)
 a short history of the English occupation of Manhattan - renamed
successively forts William, Anne and George

1658-60: Kingston's defenses (300 words)
Dutch Fort Esopus and the stockades at Wildwyck and the Hurley
Blockhouse

1750s: Defenses of the F&I War along the Mohawk River
Sites include, but not limited to Wagner (near Nelliston), Hendrick
(Canjoharie), Hess (Montgomery Co.), Windecker (south of St.
Johnsville)
Klock, House, Hill (St. Johnsville for previous 3), Burnet's Field
Blockhouses (Herkimer Co.) *Editor's note: Fort Johnson has been
covered
in a single essay

1755-57: Port Jervis and Southern New York's defense during the F&I War
Sites may include, but not limited to, Forts Cole, Augusta, Becker,
Dewitt, Gumaer, Fort Gardiner, Deyo's Hill Blockhouse, Fort Devens and
the Minisink forts (Neversink, New Jersey, Van Auken and Decker)

1756-58: Defenses built between Albany and Sarratoga: Fort Winslow,
Montresor's Blockhouse (both in present day Stillwater) and Flatts
Stockade (below Sarratoga)

In addition to the above, there are a handful of sites I am aware of
but
do not have enough information on to know whether or not they might
merit
a short entry (100 to 300 words). If possible, perhaps someone familiar
with these fortifications might tell me a little about them and if they
might be interested in providing a brief discussion on same. The sites
are as follows:
Fort French (1696, Onondaga)
Dolson Blockhouse (1735, Middletown)
Fort Castel (also Schoharie, 1757, Howes Cave)
Fort Oghwaga (1757, Ououquaga)
Shrroeppel fort (1758, Phoenix)
Fort Kimber (1759, Unionville)
Fort Skenesborough (1759, Whitehall)
Cochecton fort (Cochecton)
Fort Stillwater
Fort Fox

I realize the demands on your time are great but I would be very
grateful
for any assistance you can provide. I am including, as attach files,
some
information about myself and the current project for your review. I
look
forward to hearing from you in the near future.
Sincerely,
Veronique Deplanne