NYHIST-L Archives

December 2002

From:
Todd Pfannestiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 12:58:45 -0500
Hello:

I'm looking for two other presenters to join me in preparing a panel for the Conference on New York State History taking place next June 5-7th at a site to be announced (in the Mid-Hudson Valley).

I am preparing a paper on the efforts of New York State shcool teachers to inculcate patriotism among their students both during and after World War I.  Much of my research focuses on the Red Scare years of 1919-1920.  The paper will include references to various tests and evaluation mechanisms at the high school level, as well as writing assignments for grade school students.  In fact, I have obtained a collection of essays on the theme "Americanism," written by a group of sixth-graders in 1919, that will serve as the basis for much of my presentation.

The panel possibilities are numerous--perhaps a panel dealing with educational issues in New York history; patriotism/Americanism; World War I; the Red Scare or radlicalism in general; etc.

If anyone would like to help form a panel along one of these themes (or any other), please e-mail me.  The deadline for proposals is January 15th.

Thanks!

Todd

Dr. Todd Pfannestiel
Department of History