NYHIST-L Archives

July 2006

From:
Walter Greenspan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:51:17 EDT
On 7/10/06 (12:48:20 PM MDT), in a posting on behalf of Sara Gronim

I'm going over a book manuscript on colonial New York with my copyeditor who
queries me on whether the "van" so common among 17th and 18th century names
should be capitalized or not. When reading early sources the capitalization is
variable, and the print versions by 19th and 20th century historians seem to
vary, too.  I had decided to leave all my van Rensselaers, etc, lower-case for
consistency's sake.  Is there an accepted practice, or is the capitalization of
"van" ("Van"?!) optional?"

You may want to subscribe to and post your query at:

This is the discussion list of the New York and New Jersey Colonies, known as
New Amsterdam, established early in the history of colonial America.

You can subscribe by going to

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/usa/misc/misc.html

and, scrolling down to Dutch-Colonies-L

I hope this information is useful or, at least, interesting.

Regards,

Walter Greenspan
Great Falls, MT & Jericho, NY