NYHIST-L Archives

March 2003

From:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:08:55 -0500
I had long been curious about the 1830 US census showing the presence of
slaves living in New York, particularly the 26 enslaved women in Montgomery
County.

I reviewed the 1830 manuscript census reports of Montgomery County (on
microfilm) and found that all the "slaves" were recorded by one census
taker, and for the most part were obvious clerical errors. Typical is a
household headed by a black man with the last name "Freeman." He and his
sons were recorded as not enslaved by tick marks being placed in columns
denoting sex and age in the "free" columns, but his wife's and daughters'
ages  were ticked off in the "enslaved" columns. No men or boys were listed
as enslaved in Montgomery County in the 1830 census.

Other women listed as enslaved by this one census taker lived in households
headed by free whites. It is impossible to determine from the internal logic
of the household if these women were being illegally held as slaves, but I
strongly suspect that the census taker was simply consistently putting tick
marks in the wrong column, as he had in households headed by free blacks.

The other six counties that showed slaves in 1830 were Washington (8 women),
Putnam (4 women), Oneida (9 men, 6 women), New York (17 women), Chenango (2
men, 1 woman), and Albany (2 men). The manuscript censuses for those
counties should be reviewed. I would be happy to share my research with
anyone who is willing to write for publication on the end of slavery in New
York State - or simply on how this particular case shows, yet again, why
looking at the original sources and analyzing what is to be found there is
essential.

Edward Knoblauch