NYHIST-L Archives

January 2001

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:44:10 -0500
My family, then Hicksite Quakers, had a stopping place on the UGRR in Onondaga County, Town of Van Buren.

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/29/01 10:35PM >>>
I think an attempt to delineate routes, even if general in nature, serves the
glory of the slaves who escaped and the people who helped them. For whatever
"play it by ear" situations there may have been, many regular stops and routes
did exist -- and had to in order for continuity and success. The disappearance
after the Civil War of the knowledge of the Underground Railroad was more by
burial than loss, I believe. Racism, bitterness about the extraordinary
casualties incurred, and the desire to get on with life were undoubtedly
contributing factors. To make an effort to trace the Underground Railroad, note
its participants, black and white, is an effort to show a moment in our history
when humanity triumphed over racial differences. It can never be complete
history, but it can be more complete...and fulfilling...than it is now.
Joe Cutshall-King

--
Joseph A. Cutshall-King

PO Box 154