From:
Brian Melton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:45:06 -0700
Greetings,

To the best of my knowledge, the term was indeed negative and was used in the song by British regulars to mock colonial troops as they drilled.  When the colonials began to get the best of the Redcoats, the patriots began to use it more in a proud way, sort of mocking the mockery.

Or so I remember from lectures.

BTW, a much belated thank you to everyone who offered me leads on General Slocum.

Brian Melton