NYHIST-L Archives

March 1999

From:
Milton Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:08:41 -0500
        I own a copy.  It is quite tattered, but it has a vast amount of
information and good indexes.  Buy it if you can.  I think a lot of the
stuff in it is also in O'Callaghan's mult-volume DOCUMENTS RELATIVE TO THE
COLONIAL HISTORY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, but the four volume DOCUMENTARY
HISTORY contains other material.  For example, there is a whole slew of
documents dealing with Leisler's Rebellion in one volume.  Also another
batch dealing with Albany, etc.  It is rare set; I do not think it has been
reprinted; if you can get it, buy it if you are at all a student of
colonial New York history.

Milton Klein,  University of  Tennessee. Knoxville.

 10:34 PM 3/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
> Is anyone on this list familiar with a 4 volume set of books entitled The
>Documentary History of the State
>of New York by E.B. O'Callaghan published by Weed, Parsons & Co. , Albany,
>1850?  It appears to be
>a compilation of primary source material beginning (I believe) in the
>1600's.  If you know of the books,
>do you know if this is mostly information that can be elsewhere obtained (in
>more recent publications).
>My main question is, is it a worthwhile purchase?
>
>Nancy McNicol

Milton M. Klein | phone: (423) 974-2806
University of Tennessee, Knoxville | email: [log in to unmask]