NYHIST-L Archives

December 1997

From:
"Robert V. Shear" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 16:59:21 -0500
Jim Corsaro wrote:

> Listservers:
>
> I have an enquiry from someone looking for a map of the underground
> railroad in NYS. This person wants something showing the routes and
> possibly sites of udg. rr locations. I know of no such map, but there may
> be one, so does anyone know of a map?
>
> Aside from the fact that many (the majority?) of the sites claimed to be
> underground rr. places are probably mythical or family traditions about an
> old root cellar, we do know that the railroad existed in NYS and perhaps
> some historian/geographer has made a map showing the major routes. Anyone
> know??
>
> Thanks.
>
>                                 Jim Corsaro

The History of the State of New York, edited by A.C. Flick contained a
map, which is online at the UGRR in NYS website
(http://www.nyhistory.com/ugrr/map.htm).  There area other maps in
Seibert's The Underground Railroad, and in a book about the UGRR in
Western New York called "And Why Not Every Man?"

Bob Shear