NYHIST-L Archives

April 2001

From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:16:08 -0400
Just to clarify: Almonzo Wilder grew up on his family's farm located in
the Town of Burke about five miles east of the Village of Malone, Franklin
County. The original, though restored house and recreated barns are now a
museum open during the summer months. The river described in the book
where he cut ice as well as fished and swam is the Trout River. I heartily
recommend a visit to the only "Wilder site" east of the Mississippi. It
has only been under active development for the last twenty years, but has
come a long way.

Wayne Miller

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Bob Arnold wrote:

> You kjight try Laura Ingalls Wilder's Farmer Boy, a juvenile book that I have my coll;ege students in NY history read. It's written about Wilder's husband growing up near Ogdensburg, and has a nice passage in it it about cutting and storing ice. It's readily available in modst libraries and is out in paperback. Almanzo, the boy in the story , is ten, so your students won't be too far off in age from its main character.

> Dear All:
>

>         I have been asked about information having to do with the
> harvesting of ice in central New York.
>
>         Does anyone have anything to suggest that would be useful?
>
>         This is for a 4th grade teacher.
>
>         I really don't know where to turn aside from some pictures.
>
>         With thanks,
>
>         carol kammen

Wayne L. Miller                         Special Collections Librarian
Feinberg Library                        2 Draper Avenue
518-564-5206                            Plattsburgh, NY 12901
[log in to unmask]      or             [log in to unmask]
        "I wonder what will happen today!"  -Maggie Muggins-
"Not even God can change history...which is why he tolerates historians."
                                        -Voltaire