NYHIST-L Archives

February 2003

From:
mike engle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:11:08 -0500
Hello,

  I would defiantely check with the state library in Albany first. They have
microfilm copies.

While this subject is occuring I would like to comment on one thing which is
probably the most pertinent in bigger cities.

  The sanborn maps that are at the state library, except for the c.a. 1950
date(or the newest copy they have for that location) are the never been
edited copies.

  If you are able to find a historical society or historian who has the
physical copies, you will find edited copies.

  Let me give everyone an example that will make sense.

I have been doing research in Binghamton and started with the state library
who only has a 189?, 1918 and 1950 sanborn copies.

  Well, the binghamton library's binghamton room has these in the big bulky
book format. and they have the same books, but the first book, the
originally 189? book, is edited to 1912.  The 1918 book is edited to 1927.
and the next book is a 192? edited to 1950.  The binghamton library even has
the smaller books edited to 1962(rarely have I seen these)

  Thusly, if you're really being zealous with your research, use both when
available!

Best Regards
Mike Engle