NYHIST-L Archives

October 1999

Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:49:45 -0400
I happened to find a copy of the publication  "The Legacy of New York
Women 1848-1998" commemorating "The Governor's Commission Honoring the
Achievements of Women". These were distributed at the "I Love NY" office
in the Concourse at Empire Plaza.  When I went back, they had no more.

Is it possible to obtain other copies of this publication?  I feel every
local library and each county historian should have this in their
collection.

A woman is selected for each county and a brief history of each.  There
are other stories included and on page 45 it reads:

The Governor's Commission Honoring the Achievements of Women has expanded
the New York State Historical marker program, starting in 1926, to more
accurately reflect women's contribution to history.  Each county was
asked to participate by nominating three historical local women who
constributed to the community and deserved recognition.  From these
nominations, the Commission sponsored the creation and installation of a
historical marker for every participating county.

The markers are cast iron painted with the colors of the suffrage
movement, purple and gold.  These markers will be dedicated and installed
throughout the state during the fall of 1998.

On the following pages are the texts of the new historical markers that
honor New York State's women.  Where possible, the marker text is
followed by a brief description of each woman and a photograph.

God Bless
Ruth Ann Messick