Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:27:59 EDT
Dear Les,

     On January 18, 1694, Frontenac granted "Jean-Baptiste Hertel, ecuyer,
sieur de Rouville" the seignory of Rouville along the Richelieu River.
Between that time and 1732 grants along the river were also made to others who
later settled or served on Lake Champlain, and these included  Francois Hertel
de la Fresniere and Jacques Hertel de Cournoyer.  I assume these Hertels were
all related to each other.  A basic source in English to check is The French
Occupation of the Champlain Valley from 1609 to 1759 by Guy O. Coolidge.
Another basic source in English  would be the Dictionary of Canadian
Biography.  I confess I haven't checked the Dictionary, but I, too, would be
interested in knowing more about the Hertels.  Where were they from originally
in France?  What's there now?

     Fort St. Frederic at Crown Point, I believe, was actually built in 1734,
not 1731.  Many books are wrong on this.  The 1731 fort was a wooden fort
built across the lake at Chimney Point in Vermont.

Paul Huey