NYHIST-L Archives

July 1998

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:28:42 -0400
WMACKAY - are you a member of Clan Mackay Society, USA? I am  a NYS Clan Commissioner and always looking for our clansmen.

>>> William MacKay <[log in to unmask]> 07/01 10:57 AM >>>
Thomas Beer was a delightful short story writer, an underrated novelist and
an important biographer. Unfortunately, he was also a very unreliable
historian. His biography of Stephen Crane helped put the novelist on the
critical map, but Crane scholars now agree that it includes some fudging &
confabulation. While gathering the Collected Letters of Stephen Crane, the
editors discovered that not only could none of the letters in Beer's
biography be traced, several of them seemed inconsistent with Crane's
whereabouts & other details of his life. They concluded that Beer seemed to
have had faked them all. [They tell the story, as I remember, in the first
volume of their collection.] Others facets of the Crane biography have also
been disputed.

As far as I know, no one has made similar accusations about The Mauve
Decade, a charming & artful book, but Beer's tale-spinning there is so adept
that one begins to wonder. On the other hand, he did collect good gossip
with real fervor & he was for a time well-connected.

Not much has been written about Beer [years ago, a biography was promised,
but never materialized], but according to Kunitz's Twentieth Century Authors
[title?], he led a problematic life, ending in breakdown.

I hope that helps at least a smidgen.