NYHIST-L Archives

May 2005

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 07:10:54 -0400
Tobacco growing began in Central New York as a xcash crop with the
arrival of Germans after 1848. It continued until a disastrous hailstorm
ruined the crop circa 1918. After that, the tobacco growers grew
cabbage. My family in the Town of Elbridge, Onondaga County, grew and
cured tobacco, had a purpose-bui barnm for it that finally burned in
late 1945.

BHY the way, in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Farmer Boy, set in St. Lawrence
or Franklin County, I believe.. There is a passage on sowing tobacco.

I don't know specifically about Albany County, but tobacco was and is
grown
surprisingly widely (Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Maryland, Connecticut
and in
prior years Pennsylvania).  Different varieties have different cultural
and
curing practices (i.e., shade grown, sun-cured, fire-cured, flue-cured)
and
uses (cigar filler, cigar binder).  A "tobacco barn" might have been
used for
storing and curing the tobacco.

 I grew up in Broome County on a farm that supposedly had grown tobacco
in the
19th century.  Never confirmed it.

Bill Harshaw