NYHIST-L Archives

February 1999

From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:51:56 -0500
Benjamin Wright had a very rich and significant career doing land surveys in the 1790s, before his work on the Erie Canal, and his maps of the proposed route of the Erie Canal in 1803 and 1811 are some of the most important surveys for transportation history purposes in New York.

Philip Lord, Jr.
Acting Chief, Historical Survey
New York State Museum
Albany, NY 12230

>>> David Minor <[log in to unmask]> 02/18 10:22 PM >>>
>I am looking for biographical information about Benjamin Wright,  a 17th and
>early 18th century surveyor, I believe, for the State of New York.
>Richard Palmer

Richard,

The following is from the Canal Chronology posted on my home page. Also the
book _Nathan Roberts: Erie Canal Engineer_ by Dorris Moore Lawson (North
Country Books, Inc. 311 Turner Street, Utica, NY 13501, 1997, ISBN
0-925168-57-2) *may* have some references to Wright (it's not indexed; why
do authors not do this?)

1770
U. S. canal engineer Benjamin Wright is born in Wethersfield, Connecticut.

1813
William Weston turns down an offer to become chief engineer on the Erie
Canal. Benjamin Wright accepts the post.

1816
Nathan Roberts assists Benjamin Wright on the Erie Canal between Rome and
Montezuma.

1817
 Chief Erie Canal engineer Benjamin Wright appoints David Stanhope Bates
assistant engineer on the middle division of the Erie Canal.

1822
Benjamin Wright surveys a route for Massachusetts and Rhode Island's
Blackstone Canal, from Worcester, Massachusetts, to Providence, Rhode
Island.

1824
Apr 15
Work resumes on the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, after a 19-year delay,
under Chief Engineer Benjamin Wright.

1825
John Jervis accompanies Benjamin Wright as Principal Assistant Engineer on
the Delaware and Hudson Canal. Horatio Allen becomes a resident engineer.

1828
Jul 4
John Quincy Adams breaks ground for the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal at
Georgetown, District of Columbia, with Benjamin Wright as Chief Engineer.
Nathan Roberts is appointed to the board of engineers.

1835
Construction of the James River and Kanawha Canal resumes under the new
James River and Kanawha Company, with Judge Benjamin Wright as Chief
Engineer. He is assisted by his son Simon, Charles Ellet, Jr., and Daniel
Livermore.

1839
E. H. Gill becomes Principal Assistant Engineer on the James River and
Kanawha Canal, in charge of construction above Lynchburg. Charles Ellet,
Jr. loses his job as Chief Engineer for refusing to compromise with others
and is replaced by Benjamin Wright.

1840
Wright takes a three-month leave of absence from the James River and
Kanawha Canal. E. H. Gill fills in for him.

1842
U. S. canal engineer Benjamin Wright dies in New York and is succeeded by
E. H. Gill.

That's about all I have.

David Minor