From:
Philip Napoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:22:41 -0400
Hello All:

I would like the list members to know of a one-day conference, to be
hosted by the Herbert H. Lehman Suite and Papers at Columbia University,
in April 2001. The CFP follows.

******

Liberalism Under Fire: New York in the 1950s

A One-Day Conference, Hosted by the Herbert H. Lehman Suite, Rare Book
and Manuscript Library, Columbia University

April 6, 2001

In 1958 speech at Columbia University, Senator Herbert H. Lehman
declared that “so far as liberal and liberalism are concerned, the very
present period is largely overshadowed by a pall of sterility,
conformity, compromise and confusion. It is a dark period for liberalism
and for America.”

And what of the history of Lehman’s home state, New York?  Was the
period as dark as Lehman believed?  What precisely was the crisis of
liberalism in the 1950's?  And what critiques can we offer of that
ideology and its practical consequences?

We wish to encourage a cross-disciplinary exploration of these questions
at a one-day conference focusing on the history of New York, both City
and State.

Panel and paper proposals are now being solicited for a conference that
will consider the history of New York, both City and State, during the
1950s.

Topics can include, but are not limited to:
Race Relations in New York in the 1950s
McCarthyism in New York
New York as the Culture Capital of the Nation
The Relationship between Local New York Politics and the National Scene
Labor Relations in New York State
The Roots of Urban Problems of the 1960s
Politics and Representation of New York in the Arts and Media

Between 9 and 12 papers will be presented at the conference, and it is
hoped that a published volume will emerge from the proceedings.

We encourage a wide-range of proposals, and those wishing to participate
should submit a 300-500 word prospectus for their paper, along with a
CV, on or before October 1.  Proposals should be sent by mail to: New
York in the 1950s, Herbert H. Lehman Suite and Papers, 406 International
Affairs Building, 420 West 118th St., New York, NY 10027, or by email
to: [log in to unmask]

--
Philip F. Napoli, Ph.D.
Curator